Friday 15 May 2015

Day 9 – Wednesday 22nd April

The hike down Cathedral Wash to the Colorado River has been one of the most ethereal experiences of my life so far. Despite my previous experiences at Zion and Red Rock, this felt like the closest to nature I’ve been on this trip, and among the most isolated I’ve felt in life. On the couple of hours round trip, we only encountered three women towards the end as we were emerging back out the canyon. This means to say we had been alone for the majority of the experience, something which didn’t actually freak me out until later when I was reflecting on the experience. If something was to have gone horribly wrong, we would’ve been a long way from help, a situation I’ve never been in before in my life.
 
(Hiking down Cathedral Wash towards the Colorado River, and the challenging terrain we faced on the way down.)
 
Personally, I’ll always remember this hike as a metaphor for life. Although it may be a struggle and hard work getting there, you can be sure that there is always something beautiful at the end. The view was breath-taking, absolutely phenomenal. Untouched and uninterrupted views of the Colorado River from the water’s edge was our reward for making our way carefully down the canyon, and it was simply stunning.
(The view at the bottom of the hike as we made it to the Colorado River.)
 
I took some time to sit at the water’s edge, meditate briefly, and take in the wonder of world around me. It was a really rewarding and unforgettable moment of my life, I felt like my mind was finally at peace.
(Sitting at the water's edge by the little beach on the side of the Colorado River.)
 
Later on in the day we travelled out to Glen Canyon Dam, and the town of Page. Page was established in response to the dam’s creation, as a place for the workers and their families to live. It’s amazing to see how such a powerful river can be controlled by such a simple structure, and how it filters the silt from the river changing it from the natural yellow and red to a clear stream. Although it’s a large dam, I’ve discovered that there are even bigger ones in California. Perhaps this is to do with the fact that California has a much larger population, and a much bigger drought to deal with.
(Glen Canyon Dam, and the sheer volume of water it holds back.)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment